Monday, October 3, 2011

Leather Binder Cover

I've been wanting to compile the things I learn about the uses of various plants into a old-looking, apothecary-ish notebook, but didn't happen to have one on hand. Whenever I don't have something on hand, I try to make it! 

Here's what I used:
  • 3-ring binder
  • fabric (can be any kind, not just leather)
  • hot glue gun
  • needle and embroidery floss (or any string that fits through the needle) 
  • leather strip (or any ribbon or string you like), long enough to wrap around the binder plus another 12" or so
  • button


Here's how I did it:

1. Open the binder on the wrong side of the fabric. Measure and cut the fabric 1 inch longer than the top and bottom, and 6 inches wider than the two sides. 

2. After heating your hot glue gun, put glue on the spine of the binder then press it into the middle of the wrong side of the fabric.

3. Open the binder up and glue the extra fabric on the sides to the inside of the cover by folder the fabric over the cover.

4. Using your needle and embroidery floss/string, stitch the fabric hanging off the top and bottom, staying close to the binder. You don't have to do this, but it looks cute.

5. Stitch or tie the button to the end of a piece of ribbon or strip of leather.

6. Glue the button end to the front cover of the binder like you see it in the picture above, and continue gluing the ribbon/strip of leather to the left and all the way around the binder, stopping where the binder opens. 

7. Wrap the end of the ribbon/strip of leather around the button a few times and cut the tail as long or short as you like!  

It didn't take long, but boy do my finger tips hurt from trying to get the needle through that thick leather! Should have used a thimble...

No comments:

Post a Comment