I've spent a surprising amount of time in the kitchen this past week doing the dishes, making meals and green drinks, dehydrating all the extra fruit Henry's mom gives me, preparing our emergency food storage, and baking a cake with Hayden!
I've been spending a lot of time with my little brother Hayden over Skype recently. Earlier this week he mentioned that he really wanted to learn how to make fondant so I told him we would figure it out on Tuesday. We ended up baking cakes from scratch, cutting them in the shapes of hearts for Valentine's Day, and making a marshmallow fondant for decoration. They turned out not perfect, but very cute! Best of all we had a good time working on it together.
I've been spending my Fridays organizing and working on our emergency preparedness storage. Since I got a food dehydrator for Christmas, I decided to make an emergency meal plan using dehydrated recipes that you can just add water to (all from the recipe book I got called, "The Dehydrator Bible.") If you're interested in doing this yourself, let me know and I'll send you the meal plan I made (you'll need a dehydrator!) I'm still working on a master list of supplies one would need in an emergency situation.
Here are the first two meals I put together. The one on the left is Caribbean-Spiced Rice and Beans (for Sunday lunch) the one on the right is Brown Rice Porridge (for Sunday breakfast). We tried some of the first recipe since I had extra, and it was really tasty!
This is definitely taking time, but I feel better already knowing we're on our way to being prepared for an emergency!
No comments:
Post a Comment